This triple chocolate protein oatmeal is a satisfying morning meal that will fill you up and satisfy your chocolate cravings in a healthy way. With more than 20 grams of protein per bowl and a rich, chocolate flavor, it’s a breakfast that will make you want to get out of bed even on the coldest mornings!
I’m not sure why, but sometimes I completely overlook sharing some of my go-to recipes on the blog. I think it’s because sometimes the recipes I make most regularly seem almost TOO easy to qualify as a real recipe. But, then again, if the simplest recipes are the recipes I make with the most frequency in my day-to-day life, maybe they’re the MOST shareworthy since they are “real life recipes” that don’t require a bazillion ingredients or a bazillion hours to make. Hopefully today’s breakfast recipe will appeal to those of you who tend to want to join me in the The Easier The Recipe, The Better camp!
And if the fact that this recipe is one that can be made in less than 10 minutes doesn’t intrigue you (less than five minutes if you do the microwave version!), maybe the fact that chocolate is involved will. And when I say chocolate, I mean TRIPLE chocolate: Chocolate from three sources, and all of them low in sugar, healthy and completely delicious.
I’ve been making this recipe for triple chocolate protein oatmeal for years. YEARS. It involves protein powder but if that’s not your thing, check out my egg white oatmeal for another high-protein oatmeal option.
The key ingredient in this recipe is the cocoa powder. It really helps the oats take on that rich, chocolaty flavor but since it’s naturally almost entirely sugar-free, it’s doesn’t make the oats a compete sugar bomb. If you prefer a lighter chocolate flavor, slightly reduce the cocoa powder but if you prefer a richer, dark chocolate flavor (like me!), please proceed with this triple chocolate oatmeal as is!
Triple Chocolate Protein Oatmeal
- 1 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk
- 2½ teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (approximately 30 grams)
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- Optional toppings: Nut butter, coconut, cacao nibs, hemp seeds, fresh berries, sliced banana
- Whisk together the almond milk, cocoa powder and protein powder in a small stove top pot. Bring to a low boil over medium heat.
- Stir the oatmeal into the chocolate mixture and continue stirring regularly for an additional three to four minutes, until the oats soften and the oatmeal thickens.
- Pour into a bowl, allow to cool briefly (this will also allow the oats to continue to thicken), top with desired toppings and enjoy!