My Home, My Sanctuary

Gosh, it feels so, so good to be home.

No matter how much fun I’m having on a trip, by the end of it, I’m always anxious to get home.

I missed this face!

sadie 039-001

My mother-in-law once described her home as her “sanctuary.” She said it is the place where she can always go to unwind. It is a peaceful, happy place. A place of comfort and love.

I couldn’t agree more! Something about being home simply puts me at ease.

Workout

Another benefit of being home is getting back in the gym!

Today I completed 20 minutes on the elliptical before I did a leg workout that looked like this:

leg workout

Obviously my weight for squats was lower than the weight I would typically select since I was doing so many reps.

It felt good to feel the burn after a few days away from strength training.

Breakfast this morning was a favorite around here.

oatmeal with bananaovernight oats (2)

Overnight oats topped with a sliced banana!

overnight oats with banana

Chewy and filling. A winner!

Question of the Morning

• If you could describe your home in one word, what word would you use to describe it?

I would select “comfort.” If there’s one thing I feel when I walk through the doors of our house in Ocala, it’s an overwhelming sense of warmth and comfort.

Comments

What a great perspective and description!

I’d have to say either comfort or security. There are few things better in life than having a nightly routine with my husband…enjoying dinner together, curling up on the couch, and watching our favorite shows.

I have to start switching to overnight oats…Summer + no air condition makes it brutal to eat stovetop oats in the morning.

I would describe my apartment as cozy…it’s tiny but I love coming in the front door every day after work and feeling at home.

My home is my comfort zone and seeing that I have been in Korea since mid March, I can’t wait to get back to my home in early June. My fiancé will still be in Korea so it won’t be as comforting there alone but I can’t wait to see my family, friends and especially my puppy! Not to mention just to have the comforts of home…my bed, a washer and dryer, my kitchen appliances, American TV, an actual shower….I never knew how much I took for granted!

4. Sara @ The Foodie Diaries says

If I could choose one word to describe my home (in Oviedo) I would say it’s my escape. Moving to Boston has been such an amazing experience, but there is no place like the home you grew up in with your family and friends. I love living in my apartment in the city with two of my close friends and co-workers, but there really is no place like home with your family. Whenever I have the chance to get back to Florida it truly is like an escape away from reality :) I miss it so much, especially when it’s in the 50’s-60’s and rainy up here! I mean, it’s MAY, where are the blue skies and 70 degree weather?? :)

I’m such a homebird…comforting…you had it with sanctuary though!
    What sort of weight did you end up going for for the squats?
    What do you generally use for lunges? Only new to weights but trying to get an idea of what to work towards!

I’d describe my home as comfortable. It’s where I feel most relaxed and it’s where our big, comfy sectional is :)
    Plus, it contains all my favorites- my favorite sound (giggling baby girl), my favorite smell (garlic cooking), my favorite site (koda licking Hailey)… You get the point. There is no place like home!

If I could describe my home in one word it would be “happy”. Everyone that enters my family’s home in Vero Beach say that they don’t want to leave, and how happy it makes them. It is a tiny little house and cozy enough for only 3 or 4 people. But it is decorated old florida style, and there is always something baking or recently baked. We also have a little garden in the back and right now gardenias are blooming.

It’s a very happy home, and I love it when I come here during breaks from college. I miss it so much when I’m away!

xo Lily

Reading about home descriptions makes me a little teary-my family is going through a divorce and my parents sold our house awhile back. It seems so strange not to have a place to “go home to”!

I agree – was away for the weekend too and it always feels so so good to get home. I’m not sure if I can pick just one word… sanctuary is a good one. My ‘home’ has changed 4 times in my life, but the one I’m in right now feels very calming to me and I always love coming back to it!

Definitely “comfortable”. No matter how nice of a hotel or place I’m in when traveling, there’s nothing like coming home to my own bed, couch and floors that don’t gross me out when walking around barefoot 😉

I would use the word ‘haven.’ My home is definitely a place where I feel at peace from the rest of the world. I like to keep pretty busy so it’s nice to feel like I can come home and just ‘be.’

Glad you’re enjoying getting back to your routine! :)

i actually am abnormal. i never feel to comfortable unless i’m moving around, which is why two of my favorite things are traveling and airports. to me a new place, a new city, a new adventure is the best comfort in the world. ehh, kind of weird i know. haha. however, if i had to pick one place that i know i can always go and put me at east it would have to be my parents house, which is the house i grew up in.

Right now I would describe my home as “transient.” I say this because since 2005 when I headed off to live on campus in college, I have moved in/out of a dorm or an apartment every year since! However, I just bought a home! So I’m very much looking forward to making my new house a sanctuary where I can go to unwind, relax.

I was wondering if you have ever made yogurt oatmeal. We make it with oatmeal, yogurt, orange juice, and chopped apples. It is similar in texture to overnight oats, and I love the sweetness from the orange juice.

HI Julie!

I wanted to share my lastest discovery with Overnight Oats! I told a work colleague about it and she suggested I put shredded carrot, shredded apple and raisans in with a pinch of cinnamon. I adapted this to shredded carrot and shredded pears with cinnamon and chia seeds! Very refreshing with the warm months ahead. Yum Yum

16. Beth says

I tried your version of overnight oats and I love it! I need to start making batches of it because the worst part about it is the waiting. :)

Non-existant. I’m currently in transition it feels like…I went from living with my dad for 18 years and he got a girl-friend and pretty much kicked me out. To living with my mom in a one bedroom apartment…Meaning my room is the couch. To now preparing to move in with my boy-friend at the end of the home. It sucks feeling like you don’t have a “home” :(

Aw it sounds like you had a wonderful week and weekend traveling but there is something great about coming home too! I think comfort is right on when I think of home as well– a place where everything feels right.

19. Ruth says

My home is comfort, like walking into a hug. lol, not sure if I can describe it.

I had Pina Colada overnight oats this morning…yummers! Maybe next time I will add some almond slivers. Tropical breakfast, can’t go wrong!

Chaotic!!! With two kids, one dog and a husband there is no other way to describe it, lol! Having said that, it is also my place of comfort. It is where my family and I come together to relax and enjoy one another.

21. Elizabeth says

The busier I get, the more I LOVE to be home. I love to be home. One word–MESSY!!! 3 kids, enough said? e

22. Marion says

My touchstone is how I would describe my home and like your MIL my praceful sanctuary where I am loved unconditionally with fur babies who like your Sadie make me realize the most important thing in life is that we all can love and be loved! I love your blog and follow it quietly but your blog really spoke to my heart today. Shanti, namaste

23. Jamie says

Are you a certified personal trainer? because I find it hard to believe you are if you would post a workout like this. 50 squats? whats the point of that? Also, why would you end a leg workout with deadlifts? Possibly the most counter productive thing you can do. Perhaps, before you continue to give your readers workouts, you should do some research or get at least minimum get a certification so that you have some idea of program design.