Pancakes are one of life’s little gifts in the morning. They’re fluffy and fun and delicious but more often than not, after eating them, I initially feel overly stuffed only to feel hungry less than 2 hours later. I know this is likely because of a lack of fiber, protein and fat in traditional pancakes and while regular pancakes are wonderful and fantastic to eat when a craving hits, when it comes to pancakes I consume in my day-to-day life, I’d prefer them to pack a little more of a nutritional punch. And that’s where these bad boys come in.
Helloooo banana bread protein pancakes!
These banana bread protein pancakes are a delicious, healthy and filling breakfast that feels like a special treat, especially if you take the time (it’s not much!) to make them on a busy weekday morning. And a big-time bonus: They were baby and toddler-approved in our house and one of all of our boys’ first favorite foods. I cannot tell you how many batches of these banana bread protein pancakes I made for our boys when they were younger. Thankfully the pancakes continue to be a recipe our boys request now that they’re (almost) all technically big kids and have stronger opinions about what they do and do not like. Banana bread protein pancakes = Like!
If you’d like to give this recipe a try, here’s everything you need to make a batch of banana bread protein pancakes in your house:
- Old Fashioned Oats: These essentially become your “flour” but with more fiber and staying power.
- Banana: The perfect touch of natural sweetness.
- Egg: The nutrient-dense powerhouse that also serves to keep this recipe together
- Cottage Cheese: The ingredient we can thank for the protein in this recipe! And if you hate cottage cheese, you cannot tell it’s in these pancakes, I promise!
- Cinnamon: Adds flavor and makes the pancakes smell amazing!
As written, the below recipe makes a single serving of banana bread protein pancakes but it’s easy enough to double or triple to feed more people.
If you decide to give these banana bread protein pancakes a try, I really hope you enjoy them as much as we do in our house!
Banana Bread Protein PancakesPrint
Made with banana, oats, cottage cheese, egg and cinnamon, banana bread protein pancakes are an easy, kid-friendly recipe packed with protein — no protein powder required!
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Spray pan with cooking spray and heat to a medium heat
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and blend with an immersion blender until batter is relatively smooth and all ingredients are fully mixed
- Pour batter onto the warm pan to form four medium-sized pancakes
- Allow to cook until edges start to harden, about three minutes
- Flip pancakes and allow to cook until batter is no longer runny, about two more minutes
- Top with syrup and enjoy