Every once in a while I stumble upon a recipe on a blog that knocks my socks off and I become so obsessed with it that I make it on repeat until I practically have it memorized. This happened last winter with Pinch of Yum’s Queso Crockpot Chicken Chili. The recipe was so delicious and a big-time hit in our house. I loved it. Ryan loved it. I made it no less than 10 times before the weather warmed up and crock pot cooking took a little hiatus.
As I continued to make the chili, I found myself changing small things about it every time. It all came down to my attempt to make the easiest version of the chili that I could without sacrificing certain aspects of the recipe that made it the chili we loved so much. I didn’t want to lose the creamy, cheesy base or the warm Mexican flavors.
I basically eliminated all of the steps that required me to chop or sauté anything. I whittled their perfect chili recipe down to something I could basically dump into my slow cooker and walk away from and still love. If you have a little extra time I encourage you to try the original version, but if you are looking for a meal that you can throw together before work in the morning or quickly assemble on a busy Saturday, this rendition could not get any easier. And it’s still incredibly tasty!Print
This Easy Cheesy Crockpot Chicken Corn Chili is packed with warm Mexican flavors amid a deliciously creamy base. It doesn’t sit heavy in your stomach but manages to fill you up with comforting, nutritious ingredients.
- 1.5 pounds chicken breasts
- 1 16-ounce jar salsa (I love mild but if you prefer a bit of spice, you can definitely use a spicier salsa!)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 14-ounce can corn, rinsed and drained or 1 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- cilantro for topping
- Combine chicken, salsa, water, cumin, chili powder and salt in a slow cooker. Let cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred. Place the chicken back into the crock pot and stir in cream cheese (I recommend adding it in small pieces), corn and black beans. Stir until cream cheese begins to melt and cover. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes until cream cheese melts and everything heats up.
- Stir in shredded cheese and spoon chili into bowls. Top with cilantro and enjoy!
This is an easy recipe to adapt to your personal tastes and preferences. I’ve made it with double the black beans and loved it! I’ve also added diced zucchini and bell peppers to the recipe for some additional nutrition from fresh veggies and thought it was great. You may also adjust the amount of water in the recipe to make the chili soupier or reduce the water to make it a little thicker.
Keywords: chili, crock pot, slow cooker, crock pot chili, slow cooker chili,