25 Minute Incline Walking Workout

It’s days like today that I feel extra grateful that I have a husband who craves a good workout. If it wasn’t for him, I definitely would’ve slept in and skipped the gym this morning.

When the alarm went off, I rolled over and silently hoped that Ryan would turn off the alarm and crawl back into bed. Bad sign number one: I heard him flick off the space fan. (We sleep with a small space fan on for white noise.) Bad sign number two: I heard Ryan’s electric toothbrush start whirring in the bathroom. He never brushes his teeth and then decides to go back to sleep, so I sighed, threw off the sheets and got dressed.

Now that my workout is over, I’m glad I went even though I definitely wasn’t in the mood this morning. Isn’t that how it always works!?

While at the gym, I hopped on the treadmill and completed the following incline walking workout:

incline walking workout

I repeated the 25-minute workout one time for a total of 50 minutes. It felt good to sweat a bit and zone out on the treadmill. Though my mind was a bit fuzzy this morning, I couldn’t completely check out because the incline frequently changed during my workout which kept me engaged.

It was a good one!

When Ryan and I arrived back home, I ate a banana as I prepared a batch of scrambled eggs with yellow squash and avocado.

peeled bananas

scrambled eggs with avocado 009

The avocado was the shining star!

scrambled eggs with avocado 013

Time to get crackin’. I’m still in major catch-up mode and have an inbox that needs my attention.

Hope you have a great day!

Question of the Morning

• When it comes to treadmill workouts, what type of workout is your favorite? Steady state running? Intervals? Inclines? Walking workouts? Or do you just hate the treadmill with a burning passion?

My favorite treadmill workouts are interval workouts because they make the time fly by!

Comments

It stinks but you always feel better when it’s done! 😉 I’m a hate the treadmill with a burning passion people. I only use it when we’re doing circuits but I need to get inclines involved next time. As a cool down I’ll walk backwards on it and engage other muscles but it still keeps the heart rate up nicely even at 1.5mph!

I like short, fast treadmill workouts. I use them more consistently when I’m trying to increase my speed. I crank it up to a pace that’s quicker than my current comfortable pace, and just try to go a tiny bit longer than I did the last time, until my body learns that this is it’s new “acceptable” pace and that it won’t die!

I’m glad you went if you feel better for it…that’s always the right feeling to have afterward.

I hate treadmills! I find they trick me into thinking I’ve run farther/faster than I have. Though i hear that if you leave it on a 1-2% incline for the run, it better mimics running outside, so perhaps I’ll have to try it. I definitely prefer to do intervals that long steady ones on the treadmill though. It’s much easier to keep track of time/intensity on the treadmill than outside.

definitely had the same breakfast this am, it is just soo good. I really don’t think there is a better combo than eggs and avocado! I like HIIT on the treadmill although I dread it before it starts it always makes the workouts go by super fast.

I love the feeling when that happens!! I feel like it makes you feel extra good bc not only did you get a great workout in, but you had the strength to push through even though you didn’t want to… Double win!!

As for the treadmill, I absolutely HATE it!! I’d rather run outside in the snow and rain!

I’m that weird person who kind of loves the treadmill. I find it a lot easier to zone out than if I was running outside, plus I love the added benefit of being able to push myself with intervals (I find it a lot harder to control my pace outside!)

7. Lauren says

I’m probably I’m the minority on this one but unless the weather is just right outside, I LOVE the treadmill. I can just jump on and do a nice easy 5 miles while watching reality tv or I can push myself and do interval sprints, or incline walking if I’m just not in the mood. The treadmill gives me so many more nice, climate controlled options :)

When I’m tired like that intervals or a trainer is the only worthwhile workout you’ll get from me. No way can I just bang out 5 miles when all I’m thinking about is my cozy bed but if there’s some mini interval that I can focus on, it’s way better. Maybe I just need Jillian Michaels to move in with me and be my personal trainer forever…

I used to be obsessed with treadmill intervals but after running outside for a while I can’t get on one anymore! I also start training for 1/2 marathon soon and am taking your advice not to do my all of my training on the treadmill.

10. Kaylyn says

I also did a walking incline workout this morning! I just wasn’t feeling the gym either as my alarm clock went off, and decided that I would go, but let myself walk. INCLINE walk that is! It still makes me feel like I’m ‘being lazy’ but giving my buns a good workout in the process 😉

Happy Thursday!

I’m all about the running on the treadmill. My heart’s just not in it when I’m walking … (and I’m actually more paranoid and worried about tripping/falling when I’m walking, is that weird?! haha). Though, I have to admit that I like the inclines.
    Your egg scramble from this morning sounds delicious!!

haha! Umm… I pick e) hate with a burning passion…. But if I do ever have to suck it up and workout on a treadmill I like to keep challenging inclines and change up with intervals so I don’t get bored. I mostly walk. I am unreasonably afraid of falling off of treadmills!! I have watched too much AFV!=)

13. ivette says

definetly agree witg you, intervals make the workout pass by so fast! I love one of your 45 min treadmill workouts. Its saved on my phone so I can do it at the gym whenever I get the treadmill blues :)

I love reading books/magazines on the treadmill – I usually start out at a slight incline, and do some type of hill interval if I’m feeling adventurous :) Sometimes if the person next to me starts running, I’ll run too because I feel like I can be working harder!

15. Tracy says

Awesome! Can’t wait to try this! I’m not really a fan of the treadmill, but this gives me a way to mix things up and make the time fly by!

I like zoning out to a movie or something for those long, easy running days, but more so, I LOVE fartlek workouts on the treadmill. Feels good to move fast… but still have some recovery built in.

17. April says

Please continue with the walking interval workouts! I have a hard time running on the treadmill so I tend to use it for mostly walking. Thanks! Great post. :)

18. Lauren says

I can totally relate to your morning! But once you get up and go to the gym, you almost never regret it!

And I was also going to comment about how today is National Peanut Day… but it looks like someone beat me to it! 😉

haha I don’t really like the treadmill but in the winter it’s def a must since I never know how the weather is going to be in the mornings.. but I like walking on an incline when I do use them :p

20. Karen says

I thinking any kind of treadmill activity sucks monkey feet but it is a necessary evil…so I try to do 20 minutes of walking/jogging/sprinting intervals 3x a week. I’ll do 2 minutes walking at 4.0, 1 minute jogging/easy run at 6.5, 30 seconds sprinting at 9.0, 1.5 minutes cool down walk at 4.0, then repeat the cycle until I get to 20. It is tough, and the cooldown walks before the jog really go by fast! LOL

Squash and avocado in eggs… hmm I never would’ve thought of it but it sounds good!
    As for the treadmill… I hate running on the treadmill (I’d way much rather be outside!) but I don’t mind walking on inclines so long as I have a good book or magazine in front of me while I’m doing it.

22. Sarah P. says

I would prefer to run outside. It goes by so much faster for me. Unfortunately, since the streets along my apartment are usually so busy, I have to use the treadmill. I have never tried walking inclines. How does calorie burn for walking inclines compare to running outside?

23. Kelsey says

I love a good treadmill incline workout when nothing else sounds appealing at the gym..or when I just don’t even feel like getting to the gym in the first place. I rotate the speed between 4 and 4.5 and keep the incline at 15..With a good trashy celebrity gossip magazine, or a health magazine of course, the hour just flies!

24. Amanda says

I don’t really enjoy the treadmill, especially the one in the fitness center at our apartment complex. It is rather old and clunky, and sounds like it is going to fall apart when you get up to speed! I love running outside. Fall weather is arriving here in the midwest, my favorite time of year for running. :)

I’m huge fan of intervals as well. Not only are they super effective (ie. burn a ton of fat), but they keep your workout from feeling mundane. I’m not a fast runner by long distance standards, so when I “sprint” on the treadmill intervals, I feel much more accomplishment than I do with a slow long run.

If i’m going to hit up the treadmill it must be some sort of interval work, right now i’m loving 1 mile intervals with 50 pushups and sit ups or jump squats and sit ups in between each mile until i finish 4 or 5 miles, its a totally heart beating workout!

I just love your treadmill workouts, it’s nice to mix things up! Question – when you walk steep inclines, do you hold onto the treadmill handle bar? I feel like holding on changes the challenge of the work out – just curious on your preference. Thanks!

Love the graphic!!

When I am on the treadmill I try to run steadily for as long as I can without getting bored(about 20-30 min) and then switch to intervals because I can’t just run without getting anywhere for that long without mixing it up!!

29. eliza says

You are so lucky Ryan likes to work out. My fiance and I both have desk jobs and I am lucky if he’ll go on a quarter of a mile walk with me after work :( He looks like a healthy guy and is lucky he has a fast metabolism but he just does not like the gym or independent work outs like running. It would be cool if you did some sort of advice column because I am sure other girls could relate! :)

30. @pluvk says

I wish my hubby was as workout conscientious as Ryan! He’s easy to persuade… and he easily persuades me to go back to sleep! :-)

When it comes to treadmills, I have to mix it up. I’d prefer steady-state… well, walking. But I do intervals to keep me interested.

31. Zulema says

Intervals mos def :) I don’t really like the treadmill too much but it does make me sweat and gets my heart rate up. And when I go to the gym I like feeling like to sweat, it makes me feel like I worked hard.

I used to bash on the treadmill! haha! But now I actually love it because I can run and not have any discomforts either now, and I’m guessing in the long run, as opposed to the pavement. I like to run outside too but that’s a lot more seldom.

My fave treadmill routines are inclines with increasing speed. Ex: 7 min. incline 4+level 6, and then keep going up and then down. OR short intervals. But when I want to give my muscles a break, I just run steadily for about 20 minutes on level 6.5-7.0. :) So cool that you and Ryan always do this together!

I can ONLY walk on an incline on the treadmill… everything else is boring, and I MUST switch up speeds and intensities in order to get through it. I LOVE plowing through 15 incline at 4.2 mph… you feel pretty good after pushing through that! Love your workout, too,and when I am not teaching Zumba I’ll pull this one out :)

34. beth says

treadmill hater here! bad shin splints no matter how much i warm up. i just try to go for an ouside run at least 5 days a week throughout the year, and i’m a baby when it comes to cold, but i’ve learned to do it anyway! i only use the gym for weights.

I totally agree! Having a partner that is committed to fitness has been key in getting me up on those days where I just don’t feel like it!

Thanks for sharing the workout! I’ve been wanting to try intervals with inclines for awhile. Now I have no excuse :p

I really despise the treadmill and have to do intervals to keep myself engaged if I’m running on one. I try to avoid it at all costs! I even ran when it was snowing once just to avoid it and I live in GA where it never snows HAH!

37. Debbie says

This may be a silly irrelevant question, but why do you sleep with white noise? Does it help you sleep better? Is there something scientific behind it? I’m so intrigued! haha :)

Good day! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog.
    Is it very hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m thinking about setting up my own but I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any tips or suggestions? Appreciate it

I was wondering if you ever considered changing
    the page layout of your site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect
    with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or two pictures.

Maybe you could space it out better?

Heya are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying
    to get started and create my own. Do you need any coding expertise to make your own blog?
    Any help would be really appreciated!

I do agree with all of the ideas you’ve offered to your post. They’re very convincing and
    will definitely work. Still, the posts are too brief for newbies.
    Could you please lengthen them a little from next time?
    Thanks for the post.