This is me to a T, and yet side dishes are often my favorite part of a meal. So you can imagine how happy I am when I discover a delicious side dish that is ridiculously easy to prepare and doesn’t require a ton of time in the kitchen. I think that’s cause for celebration!
Celebration in the form of simple cinnamon roasted butternut squash?
Okay, so I think we’ll stick to cake and ice cream when it comes to celebrating with food, but this side dish received rave reviews in our house on Sunday night.
With only four ingredients, it comes together in no time and since I have a giant sweet tooth, I couldn’t get enough of the pop of sweetness from the sprinkling of brown sugar.
And the cinnamon! Ohhh, cinnamon, you smell just as good as you taste!Print
With only four ingredients, this side dish comes together in no time and since I have a giant sweet tooth, I couldn’t get enough of the pop of sweetness from the sprinkling of brown sugar.
- 2 1/2 cups of pre-peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave in a large, microwave-safe bowl (approximately 25 – 30 seconds)
- Add brown sugar and cinnamon to the coconut oil and stir
- Toss butternut squash in the cinnamon sugar mixture until thoroughly coated
- Pour butternut squash onto a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray
- Roast for approximately 25 to 30 minutes, tossing halfway through
- Allow to cool slightly before eating and enjoy
Keywords: Dairy-free, Gluten-Free, Lunch/Dinner Recipes, Recipes, Side Dishes
Using pre-cubed butternut squash is key to the simplicity of this recipe, though you could obviously peel and cube your own squash.
If you give it a go, I hope you enjoy this dish as much as we did in our house!
More simple side dishes:
- Ginger Curry Roasted Cauliflower
- Edamame and Black Bean Salad
- Rutabaga Fries
- Cilantro Shrimp and Avocado Salad
Question of the Afternoon
- What super-simple side dish is one of favorites?