Egg White and Oatmeal Protein Pancake

While I absolutely love protein pancakes, the preparation process surrounding protein pancakes can sometimes deter me from making them in the morning. They’re definitely not hard to make, but sometimes that extra step of using an immersion blender and cleaning it is enough to make me shy away from cooking up a batch of the filling pancakes.

If you feel the same way, I think you might want to give today’s breakfast recipe a try!

Deconstructed Protein Pancake

This recipe comes to you from my friend Caitlin who first told me about this recipe and promised me it tasted like a protein pancake. I was skeptical at first since the recipe is pretty basic and seems almost more like a sweet omelet than a protein pancake, but after one attempt, I was sold.

Protein Pancake made with Egg Whites, Oats, Cinnamon and Stevia

It sounds really funky, but if you like protein pancakes or if you’re looking for a protein pancake recipe that doesn’t incorporate dairy or protein powder, I encourage you to give it a go! I tried it out on my family last weekend and it got rave reviews from everyone.

Egg White and Oatmeal Protein Pancake

Egg White and Oatmeal Protein Pancake

Serves one

Ingredients

• 1 cup egg whites
  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 1 packet stevia or 2 teaspoons sugar
  • Cinnamon to taste (I use a lot of cinnamon!)

Directions

1. Spray pan with cooking spray and heat over a medium high heat
  2. Stir all ingredients together until adequately combined and pour into pan
  3. When the pancake begins to turn white and the edges of the pancake begin to harden, flip and cook for another one to two minutes
  4. Top with syrup, nut butter, fresh fruit or slivered almonds and enjoy

DSC_0322

Sometimes my pancake comes out looking more like scrambled eggs than a pancake, so don’t worry if that happens to you, too! The taste is still the same.

I ate my protein pancake after my morning workout at the gym.

Ryan and I headed out before dawn and I completed a workout that focused on my biceps, triceps and shoulders that looked a lot like this cardio arms workout. It was a good one!

Now I’m off to the gym again to start my work day!

Question of the Morning

• Do you like protein pancakes? What is your favorite way to make them?

Comments

I make my protein pancakes with protein powder, egg whites, water, added oatmeal usually 1/4 cup or at least 2 tbsp, cinnamon and stevia all the time. I think it just depends on the ratio of your ingredients on how it will turn out. As long as it tastes good then its a winner right!

2. Natalie says

I use this recipe everyday for my 2nd meal, but I make it into a waffle. My waffles are fluffier than my pancakes. I mix 1/3 c old fashioned oats and 5 egg whites with cinnamon and let it sit in the frig for about 30 mins. Stir and pour into the waffle maker and voila!

3. jill says

It probably looks more eggy due to the higher egg:oat ratio. Jenna at “eat live run” once posted one where she mixed 1/2 cup egg whites + 1/2 cup oatmeal (let sit overnight…or few minutes…or not at all…your choice)…then fry it up in the pan. Equal ratio. Others do it with 1/2 cup oats and only 1/4 cup egg whites….either way, it depends on your texture preference I guess. You could do that cookie style in micro too I assume…

I always get super excited for oatmeal pancakes since they are by far my favorite type of pancake to make. I should start making them more but usually end up making them only on the weekends.
    Well, usually I find pancakes with egg whites or eggs can turn out a little eggy which and since I can’t eat eggs anymore I love making them with chia eggs. So good and filling.

5. Amelia says

Any kind of protein pancake that doesn’t require dairy or use a darn banana is always welcome. I’m a little tired of bananas in my pancakes…just sayin’ ;).
    I have been enjoying combos of egg whites/sweet potato-butternut-or pumpkin puree/ plus almond meal, cinnamon, vanilla, and pinch of salt. Sometimes I add oatbran instead of the almond meal if I need a little extra staying power or carbs. Thanks for the recipe!

6. Desiree says

My pancake recipe is 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 4 egg whites or 2 whole eggs, a pour of vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder. I’ll admit to adding chocolate chips sometimes, as well. I don’t ever make regular pancakes anymore!

7. Monika says

I’ll be real honest, I did not think that this could be tasty, but I really needed new protein idea’s for breakfast so I tried it. To my surprise I really enjoyed it and great protein.

Thanks so much!
    Monika :)

8. Christina says

my new favorite bfast is a banana pancake: blend 1 banana and 2 eggs in blender, then add 1 tbl applesauce and 1/2 cup oat bran, blend for five seconds and then heat on skillet. taste so yummy – let me know if you give it a try!

9. Lauren says

Okay, I tried it this morning and I have to say it wasn’t for me. I’ve tried several protein pancake recipes and it’s always the consistency that gags me. I don’t really eat eggs; once every now and then until I realize what I’m eating and start gagging. I don’t know why! The consistency here was just TOO chewy/eggy. Maybe I cooked it too long but I thought I’d gag if it was too gooey. I choked it down though b/c I know it’s healthy and I need fuel to go workout :) thank you for the recipe anyway though! I’m trying to decide if I should keep trying protein pancake recipe or just throw in the towel! :)

This pancake looks very… interesting. I think I shall try it tomorrow morning for breakfast. You seem to eat them quite often, so I might have to try this recipe.
    What kind of oats do you use and do you blend them? Also, I really dislike throwing away yolks, and would prefer to just use regular eggs or fewer egg-white. Do you have any recommendations on how I could do that? Would you maybe use 1 egg and 2 egg whites or something like that? I’m grateful for any advice you can offer, so thanks in advance!
    Have an awesome day and God bless you! :)

Mariah