Egg White and Oatmeal Protein Pancake

While I absolutely love protein pancakes, the preparation process surrounding protein pancakes can sometimes deter me from making them in the morning. They’re definitely not hard to make, but sometimes that extra step of using an immersion blender and cleaning it is enough to make me shy away from cooking up a batch of the filling pancakes.

If you feel the same way, I think you might want to give today’s breakfast recipe a try!

Deconstructed Protein Pancake

This recipe comes to you from my friend Caitlin who first told me about this recipe and promised me it tasted like a protein pancake. I was skeptical at first since the recipe is pretty basic and seems almost more like a sweet omelet than a protein pancake, but after one attempt, I was sold.

Protein Pancake made with Egg Whites, Oats, Cinnamon and Stevia

It sounds really funky, but if you like protein pancakes or if you’re looking for a protein pancake recipe that doesn’t incorporate dairy or protein powder, I encourage you to give it a go! I tried it out on my family last weekend and it got rave reviews from everyone.

Egg White and Oatmeal Protein Pancake

Egg White and Oatmeal Protein Pancake

Serves one

Ingredients

• 1 cup egg whites
  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 1 packet stevia or 2 teaspoons sugar or a couple of drops of liquid stevia (<- my preference)
  • Cinnamon to taste (I use a lot of cinnamon!)

Directions

1. Spray pan with cooking spray and heat over a medium high heat
  2. Stir all ingredients together until adequately combined and pour into pan
  3. When the pancake begins to turn white and the edges of the pancake begin to harden, flip and cook for another one to two minutes
  4. Top with syrup, nut butter, fresh fruit or slivered almonds and enjoy

DSC_0322

Sometimes my pancake comes out looking more like scrambled eggs than a pancake, so don’t worry if that happens to you, too! The taste is still the same.

I ate my protein pancake after my morning workout at the gym.

Ryan and I headed out before dawn and I completed a workout that focused on my biceps, triceps and shoulders that looked a lot like this cardio arms workout. It was a good one!

Now I’m off to the gym again to start my work day!

Question of the Morning

• Do you like protein pancakes? What is your favorite way to make them?

Comments

1. Jenn says

You seem to love your pancakes and I found a great paleo recipe, that is super yummy and easy to make! Its 3 bananas, 3 eggs, 1/4 cup nut butter, 1/4 cup almond flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp vanilla. Throw it all in a blender/food processor and mix until its well blended. Put the batter on a griddle that is at 300-350. They take a little longer to cook than regular pnackes and it makes about 8 pancakes.

2. Margaret says

I discovered your blog a few months ago and it really helped me jump start my work out routine and healthy eating. Unfortunately, I fell off the wagon and regained some weight. I’m not feeling so great but really want to get back on track. How do you stay focused and do you have any tips how to fight food cravings? Thanks.

3. Caitlin says

I love making them with 2 eggs and 1 ripe banana (and lots of cinnamon). Sometimes I’ll add flaxseed or berries. SO delicious and super easy.

4. Katherine says

Love protein pancakes… literally bought cottage cheese to make some and keep in the freezer. I like topping mine with almond butter. Instead of using protein powder I just add some flax seed. Can’t wait to add some pumpkin!

Well you know if the family liked them, then they are good to go! I’m always afraid to have family try my food, they are always my hardest critics. I’ve never made or had a protein pancake, it would defiantly be interesting to see how well it does with my sensitive stomach!

6. Jessica says

I like to add shredded carrots and shredded zucchini to my protein pancakes. It makes it easy to get more veggies in without effecting the taste.

7. Jessi V says

I make one very similar but sub 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder for 1/2 cup eggwhites and blend it in my blender for a few seconds. It’s delicious and I love the consistency.

I like using the combination of egg whites + cottage cheese. Every once in awhile I’ll use protein powder, but I don’t always love the consistency of them. I’ll have to give this recipe a shot! I haven’t had pancakes in quite awhile, but I have a feeling they’ll be making a comeback in the near future as the temps cool down.

9. Jocelyn says

I make something similar: mash a ripe banana and add some egg whites. Cook it up, smother with PB or AB, add some chia seeds and a bit of pure maple syrup and it’s the best. I’ve added a small handful of oats or flax and it worked well too. Love all of your workouts!

I make them different each time. Sometimes I add protein powder, cottage cheese or greek yogurt. I like to add nuts to the mix. My favorite part would be the toppings. I like to top my pancake with Adam’s peanut butter. I also like to add fruit to my sugar free syrup – I microwave the two together and stir it up until its a fruity syrup…yum.

11. Kristen says

I love protein pancakes for breakfast too, but have very limited time in the morning so my breakfasts always have to “grab-able”! So, I actually make a big batch (sometimes double) at the beginning of the week, let them cool and then freeze them in single portions. I just grab one from the freezer, put it in the fridge overnight then grab it in the morning and can microwave them at work before adding peanut butter and a sliced banana! They still taste great this way =) I make mine with 1 c oatmeal, I c cottage cheese, 6 egg whites, 1 very ripe banana, cinnamon and vanilla.

12. Krystal says

I make this all the time! It was a recipe I found in the southbeach diet cookbook. If you add nutmeg as well it really gives it the pancake batter flavor!

This reminds me of French toast! I’m sure it would taste pretty darn good because I love eggs + cinnamon. A splash of orange juice always tastes good on French toast, so it might add a little something to these, too!

14. Tory says

YUM! I love protein pancakes but agree that the few extra steps tend to make it a weekend breakfast. That said last weekend I made your banana bread protein pancakes for my friends and they were a huge hit!

It does sound interesting. I use the Fitnessista’s perfect protein pancake recipe. I love it and it never lets me down! And you don’t have to use an immersion blender to make hers. Double win.

These look great! I keep meaning to try a protein version with oatmeal so I will give these a try. I do 1/2 mashed banana, a scoop of protein powder, two eggs whites, 1 tbs. flaxseed, cinnamon, and a splash of almond milk. Then I top them with the remaining 1/2 of banana sliced up and a little almond butter. HEAVEN

17. Steph says

I eat protein pancakes every morning!! I measure out all my ingredients the night before (I use oats, protein powder, egg whites, cottage cheese or greek yogurt as my base) and put it all in my Magic Bullet. That way in the morning I just take it out of the fridge, whiz it up, and away we go! Topped with peanut butter :) What a great way to start any mornin!

The pancakes sound yummy. I am still making the protein pancakes you gave us the recipe for a long time ago w/the oats and cottage cheese. Love them. Thanks for sharing this healthy recipe too. Yum.

I’ve made a pancake recipe just like this one a few times. I find that the pancake comes out well if you let the oats soak in the egg whites for a while (maybe even overnight). It is also really good to add about 1/2 a mashed banana in there! YUM.

I make my protein pancakes with protein powder, egg whites, water, added oatmeal usually 1/4 cup or at least 2 tbsp, cinnamon and stevia all the time. I think it just depends on the ratio of your ingredients on how it will turn out. As long as it tastes good then its a winner right!

21. Natalie says

I use this recipe everyday for my 2nd meal, but I make it into a waffle. My waffles are fluffier than my pancakes. I mix 1/3 c old fashioned oats and 5 egg whites with cinnamon and let it sit in the frig for about 30 mins. Stir and pour into the waffle maker and voila!

• MandyMaple says

Yes! Me too :) I prefer the waffle version and actually do 6 egg whites and 1/3 cup oats and let it sit for a few minutes (while I get my coffee). I eat this every morning for health and lactation purposes (those oats!) and I love love love it. I’ll add either bananas, coconut flakes, peanut butter, or just classic butter and syrup on top. So good.

22. jill says

It probably looks more eggy due to the higher egg:oat ratio. Jenna at “eat live run” once posted one where she mixed 1/2 cup egg whites + 1/2 cup oatmeal (let sit overnight…or few minutes…or not at all…your choice)…then fry it up in the pan. Equal ratio. Others do it with 1/2 cup oats and only 1/4 cup egg whites….either way, it depends on your texture preference I guess. You could do that cookie style in micro too I assume…

I always get super excited for oatmeal pancakes since they are by far my favorite type of pancake to make. I should start making them more but usually end up making them only on the weekends.
    Well, usually I find pancakes with egg whites or eggs can turn out a little eggy which and since I can’t eat eggs anymore I love making them with chia eggs. So good and filling.

24. Amelia says

Any kind of protein pancake that doesn’t require dairy or use a darn banana is always welcome. I’m a little tired of bananas in my pancakes…just sayin’ ;).
    I have been enjoying combos of egg whites/sweet potato-butternut-or pumpkin puree/ plus almond meal, cinnamon, vanilla, and pinch of salt. Sometimes I add oatbran instead of the almond meal if I need a little extra staying power or carbs. Thanks for the recipe!

25. Desiree says

My pancake recipe is 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 4 egg whites or 2 whole eggs, a pour of vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder. I’ll admit to adding chocolate chips sometimes, as well. I don’t ever make regular pancakes anymore!

26. Monika says

I’ll be real honest, I did not think that this could be tasty, but I really needed new protein idea’s for breakfast so I tried it. To my surprise I really enjoyed it and great protein.

Thanks so much!
    Monika :)

27. Christina says

my new favorite bfast is a banana pancake: blend 1 banana and 2 eggs in blender, then add 1 tbl applesauce and 1/2 cup oat bran, blend for five seconds and then heat on skillet. taste so yummy – let me know if you give it a try!

28. Lauren says

Okay, I tried it this morning and I have to say it wasn’t for me. I’ve tried several protein pancake recipes and it’s always the consistency that gags me. I don’t really eat eggs; once every now and then until I realize what I’m eating and start gagging. I don’t know why! The consistency here was just TOO chewy/eggy. Maybe I cooked it too long but I thought I’d gag if it was too gooey. I choked it down though b/c I know it’s healthy and I need fuel to go workout :) thank you for the recipe anyway though! I’m trying to decide if I should keep trying protein pancake recipe or just throw in the towel! :)

This pancake looks very… interesting. I think I shall try it tomorrow morning for breakfast. You seem to eat them quite often, so I might have to try this recipe.
    What kind of oats do you use and do you blend them? Also, I really dislike throwing away yolks, and would prefer to just use regular eggs or fewer egg-white. Do you have any recommendations on how I could do that? Would you maybe use 1 egg and 2 egg whites or something like that? I’m grateful for any advice you can offer, so thanks in advance!
    Have an awesome day and God bless you! :)

Mariah

Too funny! This is usually how I do mine. Sometimes oat bran over oatmeal, and sometime protein powder in a pinch. If I really need to pack a protein punch, sometimes I’ll do a combo of the two. Can tag you on IG with a few of my favorite go-to’s.

31. Jennifer says

My hubby was like “your omelet looks good” 😂I was like it’s a pancake but it is! Haha and I agree- I never feel like having to deal with the blender in the AM!

32. Michelle Blizzard says

Have you ever prepared any kind of protein pancakes the night before?? Either with bananas, cottage cheese, eggs, etc. Does the batter stay good overnight? I’m trying to get my husband to eat better breakfasts than Cheerios! Haha!