Cold and creamy overnight oats have been a breakfast staple for me for years, especially in the warmer months. This week we’ve been blessed with unseasonably warm weather – 70s and sunny – in Charlotte and that was all it took for me to begin craving overnight oats for breakfast again. On Sunday evening, I prepped a batch of overnight oats inspired by my High Protein Hemp Oatmeal (I told you I can’t get enough hemp protein lately!) and when I realized the recipe was unintentionally vegan, I knew I had to share it on the blog.
When I first began blogging about my various renditions of overnight oats on PBF years ago, I received numerous requests for dairy-free versions of the easy oatmeal dish that is often made with milk and Greek yogurt. My oatmeal cookie overnight oats was the first dairy free version of overnight oats I shared on the blog and it’s still a go-to recipe for me. Today’s vegan protein overnight oats is another dairy free version but this one is higher in protein thanks to the hemp protein powder and chia seeds. A plant-based high-protein delight!
Vegan Protein Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons hemp protein powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk non-dairy yogurt
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Combine all ingredients in a container, stir until everything is thoroughly mixed and seal with a lid. Place in the refrigerator overnight or for a minimum of three hours, until oats are softened.
- Remove from fridge, stir and top with fresh fruit, nuts or a drizzle of nut butter. If you prefer a thinner batch of overnight oats, add a splash of milk to the oats until desired consistency is achieved. You may also add a bit more maple syrup if additional sweetness is desired.
A few quick notes:
You should know that this recipe falls into the “looks gross but tastes great” category thanks to the army green hemp protein powder.
For the coconut milk non-dairy yogurt, I used So Delicious Cultured Coconut Milk Yogurt which is both delicious and vegan.
This recipe can easily be adapted for anyone who is not vegan or cannot easily find dairy-free yogurt. Simply substitute your favorite kind of milk for the almond milk and creamy Greek yogurt for the coconut milk non-dairy yogurt. (You may also omit the yogurt but may want to add a little more chia seeds to add additional thickness.) Your favorite protein powder may also be used instead of hemp protein powder.
Calories: 379 / Fat: 10g / Sodium: 182mg / Carbs: 61g / Fiber: 16g / Sugars: 16g/ Protein: 18g
Additional Dairy-Free Overnight Oats Recipes
- Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Overnight Oats (One of my all-time favs!)
- Oatmeal Cookie Dough Overnight Oats