Happy Cinco de Mayo! I hope you guys are all having a great Thursday! I wanted to pop in and share a festive recipe with you guys today inspired by one of my Cinco de Mayo favorites… Margaritas!
Whenever I think of margaritas, my mind immediately takes me back to my college days when $1 margaritas at a local restaurant – Amigo’s for my fellow UCF students – were all the rage. The ridiculously cheap price for a margarita drew us in and every Wednesday the restaurant was packed with students who wanted to take advantage of one heck of a stellar drink special. Amigo’s wasn’t cheap with their special either… Chips and salsa were FREE, too! It was basically a college student’s dream. And if we were feeling fancy, we’d spring for the queso and really be livin’ large.
Side note for anyone in the Orlando area whose mouth started watering at the thought of $1 margaritas: I have no idea if Amigo’s is still running this promotion but when I was in college ten years ago (<—WHAT!?), it was the jam.
A lot of people veered off and ordered different flavored margaritas at Amigo’s. I got suckered into a strawberry margarita a time or two but always came back to the classic. Something about a frosty margarita with the perfect amount of tequila and tangy lime flavor is hard to beat for me!
Today’s recipe is inspired by my love for margaritas but since the likelihood of you making these bars today on Cinco de Mayo is in the zero-to-none range, we’ll call them No Bake Key Lime Pie Bites because there isn’t actually any tequila in these bites (unless you choose to add it, you party animal, you) and the lime flavor in the bites reminds me a lot of a subtly sweet slice of key lime pie.
I kept the ingredients nice and simple so it’s a sweet treat you can feel good about diving into when you’re looking for a burst of energy or craving something sweet after lunch or dinner.
These no bake key lime pie bites work well as a pre-workout snack and are easy to throw into a baggie and take with you on the go so you have a tasty and tangy snack ready for you when the hunger beast strikes.
No Bake Key Lime Pie Bites
Makes 20 bites
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3/4 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 3/4 cup raw unsalted walnuts
- 9 graham cracker sheets
- zest of one lime
- Place 4 sheets of graham crackers and the zest of one lime in a food processor and blend until smooth. Remove graham cracker crumbs and set aside.
- Place remaining ingredients in food processor and blend until a thick, sticky dough forms. (It’s okay if it’s still a bit chunky but you want it to be smooth enough that you can roll it to form into balls. The dough will be quite sticky!)
- Roll the dough into balls and then roll through lime graham cracker crumb mixture, making sure the surface of each ball is coated in crumbs. Top with additional lime zest if desired.
- Enjoy immediately and store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
More No Bake Recipes
- Easy No Bake Recipes (A roundup of some of my favorites!)
- No Bake (Customizable) Granola Bars
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- No Bake Breakfast Cookies
- No Bake Oatmeal Nut Butter Balls (One of the most popular recipes I’ve shared on PBF! No food processor needed!)
- No Bake Tropical Energy Bars
- Healthy No Bake Chocolate Truffles (Vegan and gluten-free!)
- Coconut Power Balls